Best Mattress Topper For Heavy Person
It is important to take care of your health by getting enough sleep. This is why you should spend as much time as you can trying to find the best mattress topper for a heavy person, so you can have a better rest at night.
One year ago, I made the same mistake, purchasing a mattress for a few thousand dollars, believing I’d sleep like a newborn. Each morning I awoke with terrible lower back pain due to my sleeping pattern. As soon as I realized how much weight an obese person would contribute to the mattress protector, I knew I would need one.
Therefore, I’m going to assume that mattresses that claim to be top-of-the-line are not designed to accommodate heavy and big people.
Is this something you’ve ever experienced?
If you are experiencing this pain, I now have the ideal solution for you. Below is a list of the top mattress protectors for heavy individuals. Because I researched and tested them for many hours on sleep, these mattress toppers are great for people who are overweight. So, you can rest assured that these toppers will improve the quality of your sleep.
How Do You Choose The Best Mattress Topper For Heavy Person?
- Firm – Mattress protectors for heavy sleepers should not be too soft or too firm, but just the right level of firmness. You should also consider the firmness provided by your mattress.
- Thickness – Mattress toppers with higher densities tend to be more effective, as does the thickness of the mattress. The majority of plus-sized mattresses are available in sizes between 1 and 4 inches.
- Material – It is crucial to consider the mattress’s material type in order to determine its level of comfort. Among cotton-based mattresses, copper-infused mattresses are naturally breathable.
- Motion isolation – During sleep, turning by one person can make the other feel disturbed. Therefore, a motion isolation mattress topper can not only reduce motion disturbances but can also help you sleep better.
Advantages of Mattress Toppers for People Who Are Heavy
There are numerous advantages to using mattress toppers if you are overweight. Take into consideration how it might affect your health on a daily basis.
- Temperature Regulation – Temperature-regulating mattress toppers help to absorb excessive body heat without feeling sweaty.
- Helps to Ease Body Pain – It is possible to find mattress toppers that provide extra comfort and support for your body’s weight. The reason for this is that it helps relieve pressure points and can also help relieve hip, back, and shoulder pain.
- Improves Sleep – You will experience less tossing and turning during the night if you buy a mattress protector of the right firmness. As a result, you will sleep better.
- Hypoallergenic – You can protect yourself from allergies caused by your mattress by using Hypoallergenic Mattress toppers. As a result, there is no need to replace your mattress.
Mattress Toppers are a Good Choice for Heavy People
These are a few reasons why you need an extra mattress! If you are a stomach sleeper, you may benefit from a mattress topper that is designed for stomach sleepers.
- Extra Support – You can raise your mattress’ level with the help of mattress toppers that add additional support. Additionally, they may increase the longevity of your mattress by providing additional support.
- Customized Sleeping Surfaces – Making sure your mattress topper meets your sleeping needs is one of the easiest things you can do. You can easily replace and carry it when you need to.
- Cooling Effect – Overweight individuals tend to sweat heavily at night, particularly on the side of the body where the skin is in contact with the mattress. Beads or crystals of cooling gel are therefore suitable mattress toppers for managing the body’s temperature.
- Mattress Protection – Over time, heavy individuals typically complain that their mattresses become thinner. Adding a mattress protector will extend the life of your mattress.
Is it Possible to Choose a Mattress Topper That is Appropriate for a Heavy Person?
Paying attention to the density, thickness, and material of the mattress topper is key to choosing one that is suitable for someone who is heavy.
Step 1: Select A Mattress Topper Made Of Latex Or Memory Foam
The elastic nature of latex foam allows it to support and maintain its shape for people with heavy bodies. It can also withstand pressure from large bodies.
Due to its exceptional shaping capabilities, temperature regulation ability while you sleep as well as innate ability to repel bedbugs and dust mites, natural latex is considered one of the top materials used for mattress toppers.
It is also hypoallergenic for those with no allergies to latex. They are made from renewable, natural sources, which is what we like most about these mattress protectors from Amazon.
For people who are heavy, memory foam is a great option for an extra mattress because of its comfort.
According to memory foam’s durability, it’s able to stand up to the continuous compression of a person’s weight while regaining its original shape.
We will discuss in our next article how to fix an unpleasant mattress pad or a topper that causes sweating when used with memory foam.
Step 2: Purchase a mattress topper with an inch thickness of 2-4 inches
Mattress topper thickness will have an effect on how the mattress will feel and feel comfortable. Typically, mattress toppers range in thickness from one to six inches, though you can get them that measure eight inches and even ten inches.
You can choose between a six inch, eight inch, or ten inch thick mattress topper.
While a heavier mattress can change how soft or firm the mattress feels, it does not have a significant effect on how much support a heavier person needs. People who want to change how their mattress feels should consider getting a thicker topper.
Step 3: Toppings With A Density Of No Less Than 4 lbs/ft3 Are Recommended
The thickness of the mattress is the most important factor to consider when selecting the best mattress topper.
As well as providing support, the density directly affects the amount of cradling the mattress topper can provide. High-density mattress toppers offer more support than low-density ones, because density increases the topper’s capacity to support weight.
It is important to choose a mattress topper that is high-density with a weight of 5 pounds/ft3 so that it can provide an incredible amount of support to a person, as well as withstand strenuous use without sliding.
Despite its amazing contouring capabilities, this mattress topper on Amazon is recommended because of its density. It is important to keep in mind that a topper with a higher density is heavier and more difficult to maneuver.
Different Types of Mattress Toppers
Mattress Toppers with Pillow Tops
Pillows with mattress toppers can be used to make a bed appear larger and more inviting, as if sleeping on a cloud. While it provides some support for heavy people, it is not the best mattress topper for those who need additional support.
Get a cloud-like sleeping experience with this pillows top mattress topper. These luxurious pillow mattresses bolster a bed’s comfort and cushioning, as well as making the installation process easier since they are lighter in weight and easier to move.
The disadvantages of pillow top mattress toppers include no adequate support for heavier body types and the need to fluff them regularly in order to maintain their softness.
Mattress Toppers Made From Memory Foam
When the right (higher) thickness is selected, a memory foam mattress topper can provide enough support for people who are heavy.
Like the ThermaGel mattress topper, it is also tough enough to withstand daily use.
Memory foam mattress toppers conform to the body and provide adequate support for heavier individuals. Heat retention is one of the disadvantages of memory foam mattress toppers, resulting in sleepers sweating and feeling hot during the night.
Additionally, it has the motion-isolation feature which can make heavier people sink more into the mattress and not be able to move.
Mattress Toppers Made of Latex Foam
Due to its excellent contouring and support for heavy people, latex foam is considered to be the best mattress topper material.
Furthermore, it is flexible and pliable, so it can support a lot of weight without sagging or becoming damaged when stressed.
There is an organic core to its PureTree mattress cover.
Down Mattress Toppers
Unlike toppers of other mattresses, down toppers are naturally breathable, which results in an instant increase in comfort.
However, they do not provide adequate support for people who are heavier. Softness is quickly achieved with these D&G mattress toppers.
Those who sleep hot will benefit from a down mattress topper because of its breathability and lightness.
In addition to their tendency to fall flat and require periodic refluffing to ensure they are snug again, down mattress toppers are disadvantageous because they are unable to provide sufficient support for those who are heavier in addition to the fact that they lack adequate support for heavier people.
Mattress Toppers Made of Wool
Wool mattresses toppers are excellent for temperature regulation if a problem arises.
During the warmer months, they provide excellent air circulation, and during the winter months, they provide excellent thermal retention. Pure Merino wool is used in its Sleep & Beyond mattress topper on Amazon.
Besides preventing bed bugs and dust mites, wool mattress covers have natural cooling and heating properties.
Wool mattress toppers have drawbacks when it comes to supporting heavier individuals since they aren’t strong enough to support more weight.
Choosing The Right Mattress Topper For A Heavy Person
Our recommended brands for heavy people are:
GhostBed Memory Foam Topper has several unique features that set it apart from other brands. It is made of memory foam that is divided into five distinct zones, each with its own firmness level.
In addition to providing extra support in the midsection region, where most people are likely to be heavier, the contouring is softer and gentler for the shoulders, head and legs.
The topper’s zoned construction, which features a 3 inch thickness, is perfect for people whose mattress surface becomes uneven or sags as time passes.
Cooling gel is injected into foam, and air is channeled through it to move over the surface. Memory foam is notorious for retaining body heat, so it shouldn’t do the same in its top layer.
The Ghost Ice fabric used for the cover is also temperature-regulating.
Fabrics like this are also water-resistant, which makes them highly resistant to liquid damage and spills. There are relatively few other mattress toppers that offer water damage protection.
How is Ghostbed different from other beds?
- Different parts of the body are divided into zones to ensure optimum firmness or softness
- By using cooling channels that allow airflow, foam can be cut without building up heat
- Protective cover includes a sturdy outer band and is waterproof
Casper has three layers instead of the usual one or two. There are three layers of foam in this mattress topper.
Alt-latex foam is found in the first layer. For people suffering from back pain, this foam material offers the perfect shape-fitting for their bodies.
There is an infusion of graphite-infused foam under this. By drawing heat away from the body, the graphite helps relieve pressure on pressure points.
All of this rests upon the memory foam support layer. Layers combine to provide the perfect balance of comfort and ease of use.
With its durability and high quality, the Casper topper will soften the mattress by two inches.
In what ways does the Casper stand out?
- The mattress topper is made up of three layers of foam to provide pressure relief and support
- With its breathable foam layers, it helps disperse heat
- Back pain sufferers can benefit greatly from the mattress topper
Saatva, unlike other toppers on this list, comes from the same company that makes the top selling mattress of 2021. There are two layers instead of one on Saatva. First, there is a layer of soft memory foam. Next, there is a layer of transition foam.
A Saatva mattress topper is an ideal choice for heavier sleepers. Heavier sleepers usually have trouble settling down on soft mattress toppers. However, Saatva’s transition layer helps ease them into bed.
Those who sleep on their backs as well as those who sleep on their sides will find the Saatva a great choice. The lumbar region should be well supported, with hips sinking just enough, while side sleepers should feel great pressure relief on their hips and shoulders, without smacking into the mattress.
Graphite provides cooling properties to the top layer of memory foam, so it does not absorb as much heat.
Are there any differences between the Saatva and others?
- There are two layers in this Saatva Mattress Topper made of graphite rather than just one
- They shouldn’t be able to bottom out on the Saatva if they are heavy
- The Saatva is a great mattress for back and side sleepers alike
- It is the graphite that keeps the top from getting too hot
Comfort mattresses come with zones of support thanks to Amerisleep’s HIVE technology. It is slightly firmer in some areas and softer in others, making it a great option for side sleepers.
As a side sleeper, you’ll experience a lot of relief in your hips and shoulders. You’ll also get the right level of support all around. The topper measures 3 inches. There is breathable foam in it as well, so you won’t get too hot at night.
This mattress topper from Amerisleep comes with an easily washable and removable cover! A MicroGrip technology is built into the bottom of the cover, which enables the cover to be attached to the top of the mattress.
There are very few brands that you can buy in a store like Amerisleep.
How does Amerisleep stand out from the competition?
- This mattress topper features support zones and is great for people who prefer to sleep on their sides
- Amerisleep toppers are airtight, so they won’t overheat
- The removable, washable cover can be washed and dried
This mattress offers important pressure relief and relaxation. It has 2 inches of very soft memory foam, which means that when sleeping on one’s back, the contouring will be incredible. The hips and shoulders should be much more comfortable when they’re on their side.
When looking for a memory foam mattress topper that does not trap heat, you should also consider the Layla Mattress Topper, since it has copper-infused memory foam and a Thermogel outer cover. Layla mattress toppers are made with copper, which helps to disperse heat, and Thermogel, which is cool against the skin, so the majority of people should not feel hot when sleeping on the Layla mattress toppers.
Furthermore, copper is an antimicrobial, which means that it prevents mildew and bacteria from growing, keeping the top clean for as long as possible.
How does The Layla stand out?
- If you sleep on your side, the Layla might be a fantastic companion for you
- There is copper-infused memory foam, as well as Thermogel-infused covers, which help keep the mattress cool
- Layla’s topper is equipped with four anchor straps that ensure a secure fit on the mattress throughout the night
- In the top, copper is antimicrobial and can prevent mildew and bacteria from growing
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Would you like to know more about mattress toppers? Read some of the frequently asked questions here!
You can use mattress toppers to smooth your mattress or create a pillow-top effect on your mattress. Nevertheless, if your mattress sinks or sags and can’t completely keep it from sinking. Upgrade to a newer mattress at this point.
Choosing a mattress topper depends on what you’re looking for. Choose a 3 inch topper for more pressure relief. A 1-inch topper is a great option if you’re just looking to add some cushioning.
Mattress toppers are also subjective, similar to mattresses. One person may find them comfortable, while another may find them uncomfortable. Our recommendation is to use the Saatva Graphite if you need the comfort of a soft memory foam.
This Amerisleep Lift Topper will help make your mattress feel more fir
Researcher in the sleep and mattress industry at The Deep Sleep Consultancy. Ginny has over five years of experience enhancing people's sleep quality. When she is not writing, she plays football and volleyball, drinks red wine, and relaxes in a bubble bath.